You will need:
Dough: 150g Dairy Free Margarine, 500ml Vegan Milk, 50g Fresh Yeast (or dry yeast equal to 50g, read on packet), ½tsp Salt, 1½dl (½cup) Sugar, 2tsp Cardamon (powder) and 1.3 L Plain Flour.
Filling: Dairy Free Margarine, Sugar and Vanilla Sugar
Topping: Vegan Milk and Pearl Sugar
- Melt your margarine and add your milk to it. Heat until finger warm (37C / 98F)
- Dissolve the yeast with the milk/margarine liquid in a big bowl. Add salt, sugar, cardamon and around 2/3 of the plain flour.
- Work the dough until shiny and add more of the flour. Saving 1-2dl (½-3/4cup) for the rolling of the dough later on. The dough is ready when it isn't sticking to the sides of the bowl longer.
- Sprinkle with flour and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Leave to rise in room temperature with out a drag until the dough has doubled in size. (approx. 30-50min)
- Once your dough has risen, put it on a floured work bench and knead.
- Cut the dough in half and roll with a rolling pin. Leaving it around ½inch thick and square shaped.
- Spread your soft dairy free margarine over the square dough and sprinkle with alot of sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Roll up the dough and cut into even sizes. (sometimes the ends will be a little smaller and can be put two in one paper)
- Lay them with the cut side up in individual paper baking cups. (if you can't find paper cups with a low edge you can bake them just on a parchment paper)
- This recipe should make between 45-55 vanilla buns.
- Now leave them to rise in their paper cups, until they have doubled in size.
- Brush them with your vegan milk of choice and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 min in a 225C / 440F c
If you feel like trying a new filling simply change the vanilla sugar for cardamon, cinnamon or blueberries.
Brands/Products I recommend in this blog are: